What Is Breast Cancer?
When the normal cells of the breast start multiplying abnormally forming a lump or mass.
Who Can Get Breast Cancer?
Men can also get breast cancer. Among women, breast cancer is one of the most common type of cancer, it is also one of the leading cause of cancer deaths.
It can be cured if detected early and treated.
Treatment is more costly and extensive once it spreads.
What Are the different Types of Breast Cancer?
Most common types of breast cancer include:
Localised cancers: These types have not yet spread.
- Ductal carcinoma
- Lobular carcinoma
LocallyInvasive cancers: These have spread to nearby breast tissue:
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
- A lump/mass or thickened area in or near breast or underarm especially during menses
- A sudden change in your breast’s size, shape.
- Nipple discharge
- The skin could be dimpled, puckered, scaly, or inflamed
- Changes in the shape or position of your nipple
What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer?
- Age. Women over 50
- Race: African-American women
- Dense breasts.
- Previous history of cancer.
- Family history.
- Menstrual history.
- periods start before age 12.
- periods don’t stop until after 55.
- Drugs and Medicines
- Physical activity.
- Weight and diet.
- Reproductive history;
- First child after 30.
- Taking hormones. .
Use of certain birth control methods such as birth control pills, shots, implants, IUDS, skin patches, or vaginal rings etc.
How To Diagnose Breast Cancer?
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
What Are the Treatments for Breast Cancer?
Type of treatment will depend on the size and site of the tumor, tests results and extent of the disease.
- Mastectomy .
- Simple or total mastectomy:
- Modified radical mastectomy:
- Radical mastectomy:
- Partial mastectomy:
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy:
- External beam radiation:
- Internal radiation (brachytherapy):
- Hormone therapy