Urology is a medical speciality that diagnoses and treats both surgically and medically the diseases of urinary-tract and the male reproductive organs. Genito-urinary system organs under there purview of Urologists are kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra, and the male reproductive organs.
Disorders of either urinary tract or reproductive system affect the other. Hence it is also at times referred to as genitourinary disorders.
Common Urological techniques include minimally invasive robotic and laparoscopic surgery, laser-assisted surgeries, and other scope-guided procedures.
- Urologic oncology is the surgical management of malignant conditions such as cancer of the prostate, adrenal glands, bladder, kidneys, ureters, testicles, and penis.
- Endourology closed manipulation of the urinary tract using small cameras inserted through urethra into the urinary tract. Transurethral surgery is the key of endourology.
- Reconstructive urology to restore both form and function of the genitourinary tract. Prostate, hysterectomy, traumatic rupture, obstructions, blockages may need reconstructive surgery.
- Minimally invasive urology
- Pediatric urology disorders in children, such as undescended testes, birth defects of the genitourinary tract, enuresis, underdeveloped genitals
- Laproscopic urology is rapidly evolving branch with involvement of Robot-assisted surgery of the prostate, kidney, and ureter.
- Neurourology manages conditions causing abnormal urination, such as incontinence, hyperactive bladder, urinary retention.
- Andrology deals with the problems of male reproductive system and urological problems that are exclusive to men such as prostate cancer, male fertility problems.
Procedures done by Urologists
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Bladder stones
- Bladder cancer
- Development of the urinary and reproductive organs
- Erectile dysfunction
- Interstitial cystitis
- Kidney transplant
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney stone
- Prostate cancer
- Retrograde pyelogram
- Retrograde ureteral
- Testicular cancer
- Vasectomy reversal
|Urology Procedures ||Days in Hospital ||Procedure Cost (Starting price in USD) |
|TransUrethral Resection of Prostrate (TURP) ||4 ||2,000 |
|Laser Prostratectomy ||3 ||3,500 |
|Bladder Neck Incision ||3 ||2,000 |
|Cold Knife Urethrotomy ||2 ||1,500 |
|Laser Urethrotomy ||2 ||2,500 |
|Laser Lithotripsy ||2 ||2,500 |
|Trans Urethra Bladder Tumor surgery ||4 ||2,500 |
|Laparoscopic Cystectomy ||7 ||5,000 |
|Uretroscopic bladder stone removal ||2 ||2,500 |
|Uretric Reimplantation ||5 ||3,000 |
|Prostate Surgery (Laser) ||4 ||5,000 |
|Urinary Stones ||4 ||2,500 |
|Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) Surgery ||4 ||2,500 |
|Radical Prostate Surgery ||4 ||5,000 |
|Robotic Prostate Surgery ||4 ||9,000 |
|Laproscopic Prostatectomy Surgery ||4 ||7,000 |
|Vasectomy ||1 ||1,500 |